Community Events and Programs!
Dryden Dairy Days: Saturday, June 10th, 2017
- Come to the annual Dryden Dairy Day for the Parade, local vendors, entertainment, Kids Games and Dairy Dash 5k! The parade begins at 9:30am and festivities will continue in Montgomery Park until 3pm.
- For more information and updates, Follow Dairy Days on Facebook! http://www.drydendairyday.org/DrydenDairyDay.org
Dryden Lake Festival: Saturday July 22nd, 2017
- Lake Fest at Dryden Lake Park is filled with activities for everyone! Kids activities, local vendors, family games and more!
Contact Kathy Servoss for more information!
- Follow this event on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/DrydenLakeFestival
6th Annual 5K Run for the Pride
Sunday August 27th, 2017 (Pre-Registration is open until July 28th)
The Dryden cross country team invites you to support our boys and girls XC programs by participating in our annual fundraiser! Run or walk the 5K on the new cross country course at the Dryden High School!
- Pre-Registration is open until July 28th
- Pre-Registration Fees:
- Adults: $20 / Youth (under 13) $15
- Pre registration includes a “Run for the Pride” T-Shirt!
- Adults: $20 / Youth (under 13) $15
- Pre-Registration Fees:
- Registration fees starting July 29th:
- Adults: $25 / Youth (under 13) $20
Register online at: www.drydenrunforthepride.com
or send a completed application to: PO Box 877, Dryden, NY, 13053, c/o Dryden Sports Boosters
Checks Payable to: Dryden 5K Run for the Pride
Inter-generational Band and choir
Become part of the tradition!
We invite anyone of any age or musical ability to join us free of charge, no auditions.
- Mondays, 7 – 9 PM, 6 weeks starting June 26
- Location: Dryden United Methodist Church
- Chorus directed by Jennifer Rafferty
- Wednesdays, 7 – 9 PM, 6 weeks starting June 28
- Location: Dryden High School Auditorium
- Band conducted by Robert Oldroyd
Six weekly rehearsals beginning at the end of June, finishing with two performances on August 5th & 6th
For more information call Cathy at 607-844-8304, email Diane at intergenerationalBand@gmail.com
or visit us at drydenareabandandchorus.blogspot.com
Sponsored by the Town of Dryden Recreation Department with grant support from the Community Arts Partnership of Tompkins County.
Southworth Library Programs and Events
Southworth Library is Building Readers this summer with programs and events for all ages!
Our summer reading theme, Build a Better World, is reflected in our many exciting programs to encourage children, families, teens and adults to take reading out of the box! McDonald’s of Dryden is partnering with us again this year to give each participating reader a coupon for a free ice cream, shake or McCafe drink!
- For pre-readers, we encourage literacy engagement with a family challenge to make reading together a habit. Families mark time read together and come in for a free book when they have reached their goal!
- Early readers can mark their Summer Reading sheet as they read books, come to library programs and do activities- after 5 they can come in for their free book and McDonald’s coupon and then keep reading to be entered for end of summer prizes.
- Teens can write book reviews for chocolate.
- Teens can also mark time reading-anything!- websites, books, cereal boxes, Social media posts and more- to earn prizes
- Adults can write reviews for chocolate and be entered into end of summer drawings for prizes and giveaways.
Free Lunch at the Library:
- Tues/Thurs. @ 12:00pm, Friday @ 11:00am
- July 11 to August 18
- All kids up to 18 years old are invited to come on over to the library for a free healthy lunch, provided by the USDA Summer Lunch program. Come for lunch and stay for our exciting kids clubs!
- Tues/Thurs. from 12:30 – 2:00pm
- June 27 to August 17.
- Books, science activities, art projects, board games, coding, reading dogs and more! for school aged kids. Come for one week or for all of them. Registration is required. (no program on July 4)
- This free program is sponsored by the Rosen Library Fund of the Community Foundation of Tompkins County
- Wednesdays at 10:00am
- Books, rhymes, songs and play time for infants, toddlers and their caregivers
- Wednesdays, 7:00 – 9:00pm
- July 5 – August 16
- Movies, crafts, games and snacks. Open to kids entering 6th grade and up. Call to sign up and save your spot! Complete details available on the website. Teen takeovers are sponsored in part by a Dollar General/YALSA Teen Summer Learning grant, United Way of Tompkins County/Dryden Community Council and DYOF.
- Fridays, 10:00 am
- Join us for stories, crafts and activities. Children of all ages are welcome to join us this summer for stories, crafts and activities. Lunch will be provided as well
- June 27: Kick-off for our Build a Better World Summer Reading Program with Amazing Pete’s Balloons, a life-sized Pete the Cat, Family Building Challenges, stories and more!
- July 11: Tom Knight and Puppets are back for another wonderful program
- July 18: Moreland the Magician-long time area favorite brings his entertaining comic show with audience participation!
- July 25: Merry-Go-Round Youth Theater- Huff n Puff A Pig Tale!- Live theater at the library
- August 1: Dan the Snakeman and his wonderful reptile ‘show’
- August 8: End of Summer Reading party! Celebrate a summer of reading with ice cream, stories and more Building games!Tremendous Tuesday family programs:Come to the library for amazing family friendly performers, live theater, magicians and educational presentations. Programs start at 7 pm. Free and open to all
Calling all Minecraft builders and Creators: Sean Fay Wolfe is back!
- Monday July @ 11:00 am
- A special presentation from the author of the popular minecraft book series (name) as he shares his adventure as an author and minecraft wizard. Free copies of his books to kids who come. Lunch is served right after to kick off our lunch @ Library program! Program sponsored through another Rosen Library Fund grant!
Jennie’s Book Club: Our adult book club-Come for coffee and conversation!
The third Tuesday of each month @ 9:30 am
June 20: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
July 18: BYOB: Bring Your Own Book- share what you have been reading or bring a favorite!
August 15: Rocket Boys (October Sky) by Homer Hickam
Adult Summer Lectures:
June 22 @ 7 pm
- Votes for Women- Pro- and Anti-Suffrage through Political Cartoons with Dr. Susan Goodier – Celebrate 100 years of the vote for women in New York!
August 17 @ 7 pm
- Eclipse 2017- Join the experts from Cornell University Space Sciences for a look at Solar Eclipse science as the event nears (August 21)
Southworth Library Pinterest Club
- Mondays @ 3:30 pm, June 26- August 14
- Explore a new project every week this summer- t-shirt bags, bookmarks, book page art! For adults and teens
- Mondays @ 1:30 pm
- Join other players and come learn this game of strategy and wit! Call to register.
Southworth Library is located at 24 West Main Street in Dryden on the corner of Library St. and Main St. and online at www.southworthlibrary.org. Email email@example.com or call 607-844-4782 for more information.
Varna Community Association
The Varna After School Program is enrolling students in PreK – grade 5 for the 2017-18 school year.
VASP offers high-quality after school care at reasonable rates in a safe, clean and nurturing environment. The program features play-based learning; nutritious snacks; sibling discounts; full-day programs during school vacations; outdoor fun; homework help; and more. DSS subsidies are welcome. Students from any school may enroll. Please note: parents of children attending schools in the Dryden School District will need to arrange transportation from school to VASP.
Contact: Sarah Mahool, VASP Director
PANCAKE BREAKFASTS – 8am to Noon – SEPT. 10, OCT 8, NOV. 12, DEC 10
After taking the summer off, the volunteer cooks of Varna will be serving up monthly breakfasts featuring pancakes, waffles, French toast, breakfast meats, local eggs cooked to order, fresh fruit, homemade butter and whipped cream, coffee, and so much more. The buffet is all-you-care-to-eat for one low price. Bring the family & enjoy.
Etna Community Center
- Thursday, June 8 – Ice Cream Social 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, July 13 – Ice Cream Social 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, September 9 – Etna Yard Sale 9:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, October 18 – Soup & Salad Supper 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 15 – Soup & Salad Supper 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
All events at Houtz Hall, 2 Lower Creek Road, Etna
Ellis Hollow Community Center
- Ellis Hollow Pool 2017
- The Community Swimming Pool operates from Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day. It is located right next to the Community Center on Genung Road. Membership and Lesson details on our website.
- Ellis Hollow Fair 2017
- Our wonderful country fair will be held on Saturday, September 9th from noon-5:00pm. Join us, volunteer!
- Web: http://ellishollowcc.org
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/groups/ellishollowcommunitycenter/
Ellis Hollow Nursery School: September 2016-June 2017
- The Ellis Hollow Nursery School provides a loving atmosphere for children ages 3 through 5 to grow and learn. Classes are held Monday through Thursday mornings at the Ellis Hollow Community Center, located on the Eastern side of Ithaca at 111 Genung Road. Convenient location to Ithaca, Lansing, Dryden, and Freeville.
The Dryden Town Historical Society
- Southworth Homestead, 14 North Street, Dryden NY
- Open every Saturday from 10 am – 1pm (or by appointment).
Southworth House Tours!
- June 3, July 1, August 5, September 2, October 7
- First Saturdays Historic Southworth House Guided Tours
- “Tompkins County’s only Historic House Museum”, $5 donation
DTHS “OP”portunity Sale
- Friday and Saturday, May 26 and 27 (8am-5pm Friday, 8am – 3pm Saturday)
- Come to our annual sale of wonderful items donated by members. Under the tent at the Southworth Homestead.
Celebrating Rural Heritage: Verne Morton’s Photographs
- Saturday, June 17 , 10am – noon
- Tour of 150 Vern Morton photos at
- Dryden Mutual Insurance Co., Ellis Drive, Dryden
- There is no cost but RSVPs are encouraged by e-mailing email@example.com
Historic Ithaca’s Old House Tour in Dryden (co-sponsored with DTHS)
- Saturday, June 17, 12 – 4pm Dryden tour
- Tour the Southworth Homestead, Dryden Hotel, Southworth Library, Candelight Inn, and other historic homes in Dryden. Tickets available from Historic Ithaca.
- Saturday, July 8
- Antiques~Flea market on the grounds of the Southworth Homestead
2017 Homestead Heritage Fair Day
- Saturday, October 7, 10 am – 3 pm (Free community event)
- Southworth Homestead grounds, craft demonstrations, animals, and kids games, horse and wagon rides, historical exhibits all day. See displays of Indian artifacts, fossils, rocks, and a visit with rescued wildlife. Activities similar to those offered at the Dryden Agricultural Fair a hundred years ago will be especial attractions for the young folks. This event was made possible by a grant from the Tompkins County Tourism Program and the Town of Dryden.
- Also we will have guided “Becky’s Birthday” Southworth House tours at 11 am, 12 noon, 1 pm, 2 pm
- Receive a free gift. $5 Donation