Town of Dryden
Dog Control in the Town of Dryden (including the Villages of Dryden and Freeville) is provided by Richard and Gena Leonard. The Leonards assumed the Dog Control duties in 2009, after operating a boarding kennel for the previous three years.
The Leonards have pledged to:
- Treat all dogs with kindness.
- Provide safety and security for all dogs.
- Make every effort to return a stray dog to its owner.
- Maintain a sanitary environment
- Provide proper immunizations and take measures to control parasites.
- Be honest, fair and respectful with members of the community.
- View ourselves as a dog welfare organization.
- Put the welfare of the dogs above our personal gain.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other dog rescue organizations.
They also installed a new state-of-the-art kennel with in-floor radiant heat, ceiling fans, air conditioning, a kitchen and containment rooms. Their kennel has natural light as well as attached outdoor (covered) runs.
Adoption Services: Dogs that become available for adoption will be evaluated for temperament and socialization skills and, if necessary, receive behavior rehabilitation training. It may be necessary for a dog to spend some time in foster care before they are ready for adoption. They will be vaccinated for rabies, distemper, parvo virus, bordatello/kennel cough. Our goal is to place these dogs back into the community in a loving home, and we will do our best to match the personality of the dog with its prospective new owner.
The cost of adoption of one of our dogs will be under $100, depending on whether the dog is spayed/neutered and whether any extraordinary care has been given.
Please contact the Kennel if you wish to meet any of the wonderful dogs for whom the Leonards are caring.
If you have a dog related issue, please contact the Leonards at 844 DOG1 (844-3641) or it the situation is an emergency, please call 607 -351-2144. Residents should no longer call the Tompkins County SPCA for dog-related issues.
The Leonard’s kennel is located at 642 Wood Road, Freeville, NY 13068.
Duties of the Dog Control Officers:
- Enforce the Town of Dryden Dog Control Ordinance and NYS Agriculture & Markets Law Article 7
- Respond to complaints regarding nuisance dogs or dogs at large
- Seize and impound unlicensed dogs and dogs running at large
- Provide proper shelter, care, feed, exercise & water for such dogs
- Provide 24 hour emergency service
- Make dogs available for adoption or redemption by owner for a period of time equal to or greater than the minimum redemption period required by law
- Ensure that all dogs are properly licensed at the time of adoption or redemption
- Serve appearance tickets on dog owners prepared by the Town Clerk for failure to renew dog licenses.
- Issue appearance tickets and participate in court proceedings
Note: By law, unidentified dogs may be euthanized after being held for five days if not redeemed by the owner. It is the goal of the Leonards to make every effort to return a dog to its owner, or find it a suitable new home. This will undoubtedly result in sheltering the dogs for a longer period of time.
Licensing your dog in the Town of Dryden
Licensing your dog is the law in New York State and is an excellent way to help the dog control officer return your lost dog to you. Because a rabies vaccination is required prior to obtaining a license, it also helps keep our community and pets safer.
Dogs four months of age and older are required to have a license. In the Town of Dryden the yearly license fee for a spayed or neutered dog is $11.00, and $23.00 for a dog that is not spayed or neutered.
Of this fee, $1 and $3, respectively, is paid over to New York State to assist with a spay/neuter program. The remainder of the fee is retained by the Town, together with dog fines and impoundment fees, and must be used for dog control program expenses.
For more information or license forms contact:
Dryden Town Clerk
93 East Main Street
Dryden, NY 13053
607-844-8888, option 3
Or online at Town Clerk’s Office
Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 September 2013 Created Thursday, 30 July 2009
- Contact Us
- Volunteer Board Application
- Board and Commission List
- Staff Information