How do I sign my child up for a recreation program?
All participants must have a legal guardian fill out a program registration form and sign the waiver at the bottom of each form. All forms and payments must be returned to the Town of Dryden Recreation Department. DO NOT return forms/payment to the school or give them to a volunteer or coach.

How do I obtain information on Town of Dryden Recreation Programs and events?
Program information and registration forms are always found on our website, at our offices at the Dryden Town Hall, and are sent home with Dryden Central School students grades K-5. We also have printed advertising in the Tompkins Cortland Suburban Shopper, Tompkins Weekly Newspaper, and Ithaca Child. Radio advertising can be heard on Z95.5 and other local radio stations.

What does my program fee go toward?
We strive to keep our prices as low as possible and still provide high quality programming. Fees are applied to facility use at the school district, uniforms, coach certifications, program materials and supplies, first aid supplies, staff time, advertising, insurance and other administrative expenses.

I feel my child is more skilled at a sport than other kids at their age level. Can (s)he move up a level?
No. We are a community based recreation program. Our main goals are keeping kids safe, active and having fun. If you feel your child isn’t having a positive experience based on competitiveness, please contact us and we will refer you to programs in other organizations that better suit your needs.

What is your refund policy?
Refunds are not issued after registration deadlines.Exceptions may be made in extenuating circumstances, as determined on a case by case basis. Refunds are subject to a 10.00 administrative fee. If a program is canceled by the Town Recreation Department, all participants will be issued full refunds within 30 days of cancellation.

I have an idea for a program or would like to run a program through the Recreation Department. How can I do this?
Please contact the Recreation Director. We do use contract instructors for programs.

Are scholarships available for youth programs?
Yes. If your child receives free or reduced lunch at school, you are eligible for a scholarship. Free lunch will waive your registration fee completely, reduced lunch will reduce your fee by 50%. Please write Free or Reduced on the top of your registration form and we check with the School Lunch Program to ensure participant honesty. That’s it!

I have a concern with a coach, participant, volunteer or recreation department staff member. How should I attempt to resolve it?
The first step is speaking with the person directly, one on one. If the issue is with a coach or program leader, always be sure to have the conversation in private, away from children and families. If you are unsatisfied with the outcome of the conversation, you may fill out a Official Program Report Form and send it directly to the Recreation Department. We do not respond to verbal complaints about coaches.

I’m in a band and we are interested in playing at one of your events. What is the procedure for this?
We complete the booking for our Summer Music Series by January. We have over 100 requests each season to fill 12 dates, so the process is competitive. We have a community committee review all press packets and make final decisions. If you have tried before and been turned down, don’t worry! Try again.

I missed equipment hand outs or hand ins. What do I do?
Contact the Recreation and Youth Sports Coordinator to arrange a time to receive equipment. You may drop equipment off at our offices anytime, just leave your name so we know you returned it!

What are the Recreation Department hours?
We are lightly staffed department with only two full time employees. We have irregular work hours and work many nights and weekends, so we are closed in the early morning. The office is always open by 11:00 AM. The office usually has a staff member present until 6:00 PM or later. You may always drop off equipment, forms or other paperwork with the Town Clerk, which opens at 8:00 AM. If the Town Hall is locked, you may drop forms off in the MAIL DROP in the front lobby 24/7.